Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Karaoke Contest of My Dreams/ Nightmares

My office Holiday party is tomorrow night, and of all things, this year my company has chosen a massive karaoke bar in Times Square. And there was joy. The venue is The Spotlight Live at 49th and Broadway. We were informed a couple weeks ago that there would be a karaoke contest, and I felt ready to potentially embarrass myself in front of hundreds of coworkers, just to know I had the guts to enter.

Soon after, we received further details on the contest in the form of a very colorful email announcement, designed to look like an ad for American Idol tryouts or some such nonsense. The email informed us that:

-
All performers will be accompanied by professional backup singers. And...

-
In addition to a selection of great prizes for the top teams, the winning team will have their performance simulcast on the Jumbo Tron in Times Square for all the world to see!

Um, is it just me, or does that last part sound more like a threat than a prize? Still, I decided to persevere. I no longer had the courage to go up on stage alone, but with a coworker to duet with, I felt I could go through with it.

For me, that's the crux of what karaoke is about. Even if you don't have a particularly great voice, as long as you commit to the song, and you're out there really trying to give the people a show, then I commend you. Now I'll admit, it's always nicer to hear someone with a minimally decent voice than some tone deaf drunk on the mic tearing up "All By Myself", but this goes without saying. And there will certainly be many future posts about which songs I think fail miserably and succeed best in the karaoke environment (and why). But for now, back to the contest.

Here's a link to the song list for tomorrow night (Excel spreadsheet). I guess because the backup singers have to be prepared, they had to limit the selection. A little heavy on
High School Musical for my taste. But they just happened to have my song of choice - "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - so I felt strongly that it was meant to be.

...Until I signed up and received a response from the organizers that all the spots had filled up and a lottery would determine who actually got to compete. Rats. Who knew there were so many brave souls in my office? Good for them, I suppose. Not so good for my blog.

Whether or not I perform, I shall report on the event and review my first experience at this new karaoke venue. Sneak preview, folks: I'm certainly not in it to win it. I know my voice is nothing too special, passable for well-chosen songs, sure. I also don't delude myself to think that amongst hundreds of people in my office - some who are rumored to have choreography prepared - there won't be several who can belt a song out for real. Mostly, I want to prove to myself that I will actually get on that stage, if the lottery gods allow it. What is it they say, break a leg? Yeah, wish me that.


Listening to: The Postal Service - "Natural Anthem"

No comments: