Saturday, December 15, 2007

Jens Lekman: More than just a difficult-to-pronounce name

This emo-looking Swedish singer-songwriter (who pronounces his name "Yens Lake-mon") surprised me with a deep, striking voice and hooked me in with a song catalogue that ranges from sweet and pretty to groovy/danceable to just flat out quirky and cool.

I believe if I were going to offer one song to convince you this guy's worth your listening time, it would definitely be "A Postcard to Nina" from his most recent album, Night Falls Over Kortedala. I've gotten a bit addicted to this one myself. Other favorites on this album: "If I Could Cry (It Would Feel Like This)" and "Your Arms Around Me."

Also worth checking out is Oh You're So Silent, Jens, a collection of previously released material from 2005 and before. "Maple Leaves" is just grand.
Happy listening!

No comments: