Friday, January 4, 2008

I think it's love

Meet my new electric piano, Angela. (Instruments should have names, yes?) Isn't she a beaut?

That's 36 black keys and 52 white keys of electric joy. She was a present from Santa.

A little background. I took piano lessons from the ages of 8 to 16, but I wasn't a very diligent student. I could sight-read well enough to get by, but I hardly ever did my counting or practicing in general. In adulthood, it's been a goal of mine to get as good as I could be. I wonder if there are piano teachers who specialize in such a thing - reforming a bad student later in life. We shall see.

Meantime, I'm excited to have this outlet to play whenever I damn well please. My roommates will soon learn why "Linus and Lucy" (the Peanuts theme) is my ringtone. One of my favorites. A masterwork of syncopated craziness courtesy of Vince Guaraldi, which everyone recognizes after a few moments.

How about a little trip back in time? I think I'm about 8 in this picture.


Hope my first piano doesn't get jealous! Angela could never take the place of my original gleaming upright Samick. Although it is nice to have an electric because it doesn't need tuning, I can jack in headphones to spare my roommates and neighbors, and it fits in my room, sort of. The perfect piano for New York living.

Listening to: Beck - "Lord Only Knows"

No comments: